Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Blog Post #4

 Peer Review- Each One Teach One

By: Ava Daniels


One hobby that I have recently taken up is learning about and working with computers. Because of this, listening to my peers present the history of different communication technologies and relating a lot of them to computers was very interesting. Some of the presentations that stuck out to me were the history of search engines and emojis. 



One of the main reasons that I was very fascinated about the history of search engines was because I had never heard of them before. I always believed that when the internet was released, a search engine came with it, however, it was very hard to find and access files when it first was released to the public. It wasn’t until Web crawler designed the first search engine. Although this was revolutionary, it was still hard to filter through the good and bad websites on the internet when it came to accurate and resourceful information. The key to this would be PageRank. PageRank was designed to solve this problem. Some of the impacts of search engines is that it is so easy to look up information in the present, some fear that people are going to stop taking time to learn important things. Impacts on how teaching looks in the future and school systems is also what some predict. I personally could see this happening considering that I use google on a daily basis. 


Another timeline that I enjoyed hearing about were Emoticons . Because I know Emoticons  as something used on technology only, I was surprised to learn that Emoticons, more likely known as emojis, were actually first used in 1881. They were used in a newspaper and looked very simple. No color or variety to choose from, and some may describe them as boring compared to the ones we use today. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post

  Technology- Past and Present By- Ava Daniels When comparing the 20th century to the 21st century, there are multiple clear changes. Everyt...